The Weapon Interface Unit (WIU) is an interface unit and performs the following functions in the aircraft system:
- Provides the power and discrete signals defined in MIL-STD-1760 standard that are necessary to manage and fire two weapons simultaneously integrated on the aircraft pylon,
- Increases the system safety by monitoring the validity of power and discrete signals related to the armament system. This feature decreases the possibility of the inadvertent weapon firing.
- Provides the power and discrete signals in redundant hardware architecture intended to ensure reliability of the weapon management in the presence of hardware failure on the one of the weapon power and discrete signals.
- Generates firing (release) consent with weight on wheels, manual master arm switches and deliberate crew action interlocks.
- Provides the power and discrete signals in fail-safe manner.